You will be so amazed at this moist, low-fat, and compassionate main dish that you won’t miss the meat! Start the tofu marinating early in the day to not only infuse it with flavor, but also to fill your kitchen with a welcoming and savory aroma!
1 kg 3 lbs. firm tofu, drained
470 ml2 cups vegetable broth or water
30 ml2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
15 ml1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
5 ml1 teaspoon dried mustard or 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
30 ml2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
5 ml1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 ml1/2 teaspoon each onion and garlic powder
2 ml1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
5 ml1 teaspoon celery seed or celery salt (omit salt if using celery salt)
44 ml3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 ml1/2 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
2 bay leaves
1 large lemon, juiced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 Celsius
2. Combine water or broth, Braggs, mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, nutritional yeast, herbs and spices.
3. Cut tofu into irregularly sized pieces, starting with cutting off the corners. Pieces should be about the size of turkey pieces. Place the pieces in a 3 quart Pyrex-type casserole dish with a lid or in an electric skillet.
4. Pour the herb mixture over the tofu and cover.
5. Bake or heat for 1/2-1 hour, until boiling.
6. Remove from the oven or turn off the electric skillet, uncover and allow it to cool and marinate. Stir gently on occasion to coat the tofu with the marinade.
7. Just before serving preheat the oven to 400 degrees, drain the marinade, reserving about 1/2 cup and place the pieces on an oiled cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes until browned, turning once and brushing with marinade, or brown in a lightly oiled (if needed) pan or under broiler, adding a bit of marinade when needed.
Makes 8-12 servings.